The 1899 Locomobile Steam Car Replica, known as the Lykamobile is a full scale live steam automobile manufactured in 24 kits. This kit is available from a company called "Steam Traction World" located in Daventry, United Kingdom. Each kit is to be manufactured and sent once a month for 24 months. However for cost considerations I have chosen to have my kits batched and dispatched in larger crates to the United States (Topsail Beach, NC).

Specifications:
• Length 7ft 2.6in • Height 5ft 3in • Width 4ft 7.1in • Weight 904 lbs.• Water Tank Capacity 12 Gallons • Fuel Tank Capacity 7.3 Gallons

Construction:

CHASSIS Tubular steel fabrication, combination weld, bolted and silver solder.
STEERING “Ackerman” design tiller steering.
DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVE Spur gear differential similar to the original Locomobile, drive shaft and bearings.
WHEELS & TYRES Single tube pneumatic, treaded.
BREAKING SYSTEM Disc brake system.
ENGINE 21/4" diameter, 3" stroke modified “Hackworth” valve gear.
WATER FEED Twin mechanical pump.
BURNER Fuelled by diesel.
BOILER Multi Fire Tube, fully constructed and complete with necessary paperwork and inspected by notified body.
BODYWORK & SEATS Wooden with steel frame, seating capacity of 2 persons, with turned decorative spindles with leather style upholstery.
Gears: forward and reverse.
Assemble with hand-tools only
Step-by-step instructions
Technical service and help-line backup
Designed on ‘Solidworks’ CAD
Manufactured on modern CNC machines for build accuracy and high quality


Friday, December 29, 2017

Lyka Kit #1 Chassis

Below is an image of what I have found to be one of my most important tools -- a half round needle file.

Also used extensively were a regular flat file, rat tail file, regular sized half round file, hole deburring tool and a Dewalt right angle grinder. But by far this little half round needle file I used the most on all the small pieces parts. All parts for kits 1 and 2 have been deburred and chamfered. This took a little less than two days.

As others have indicated on their blogs, there was some difficulty with assembling the Side Stays. I found it necessary to bend them some. I used my Oxy-Acetylene rig to heat up the bend area and on a vise tapped with a medium to light force the Side Stays with a two pound hammer. Cool the part and retest the fit. I did this several times for each Side Stay until I was satisfied that the Side Stays would align and slide into the front and back Axle Assemblies.

Kit 1 trial assembly completed.
The following image shows the connection point of the Side Stay to one of the axles. I know that Steam Traction World stated that the frame is flexible and not worry about it so much, but when I completely tightened down the Side Stays, I didn't particularly like the way the framed flexed and stressed it. Below shows a picture of the relaxed Side Stay.

I probably could try and re-bend the Side Stays some more, but the studs line up nicely to the frame and axle holes. I decided to find some 1/8 inch (3mm) washers to make up the gap and braze them onto the ends of the Side Stays. This way the long Tubes are not placed under assembly stress and there is the right amount of threads exposed to allow the M10 nyloc nut to lock with maybe 1 or 2 threads exposed past the nut.





3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. You seem to have space and equipment in your workshop needed for success. Good luck with your fitting (especially the differential!). Best Wishes for the New Year, and a length of time for you project. Alan (alansloco)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. I'm was lucky enough to have purchased an old Ambulance building for a very reasonable price that our county was wanting to get rid of. It was an old house (1950) that they put this nice two bay garage on. My wife calls it my "doghouse". She likes to tell people that I'm in the doghouse :) I started some on the differential today, just the spur gears in the casting. I'm still in the priming of paint stage on the front and rear axles, so I'm not quite ready to tackle the drive shafts into the differential yet. I really appreciate yours and the other blogs. They have helped me avoid a few pitfalls already. Best wishes to you in the New Year !

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with the build. Great blog.
    Brian. ( shedding it all)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts