The 1899 Locomobile Steam Car Replica, known as the Lykamobile is a full scale live steam automobile manufactured in 24 kits. This kit is available from a company called "Steam Traction World" located in Daventry, United Kingdom. Each kit is to be manufactured and sent once a month for 24 months. However for cost considerations I have chosen to have my kits batched and dispatched in larger crates to the United States (Topsail Beach, NC).

Specifications:
• Length 7ft 2.6in • Height 5ft 3in • Width 4ft 7.1in • Weight 904 lbs.• Water Tank Capacity 12 Gallons • Fuel Tank Capacity 7.3 Gallons

Construction:

CHASSIS Tubular steel fabrication, combination weld, bolted and silver solder.
STEERING “Ackerman” design tiller steering.
DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVE Spur gear differential similar to the original Locomobile, drive shaft and bearings.
WHEELS & TYRES Single tube pneumatic, treaded.
BREAKING SYSTEM Disc brake system.
ENGINE 21/4" diameter, 3" stroke modified “Hackworth” valve gear.
WATER FEED Twin mechanical pump.
BURNER Fuelled by diesel.
BOILER Multi Fire Tube, fully constructed and complete with necessary paperwork and inspected by notified body.
BODYWORK & SEATS Wooden with steel frame, seating capacity of 2 persons, with turned decorative spindles with leather style upholstery.
Gears: forward and reverse.
Assemble with hand-tools only
Step-by-step instructions
Technical service and help-line backup
Designed on ‘Solidworks’ CAD
Manufactured on modern CNC machines for build accuracy and high quality


Thursday, January 25, 2018

Paint


 
Well as much as I would like to use the Craftmaster Paints, I can't get it shipped directly to the USA and there are no suppliers that carry the brand in the USA. So doing a little searching to find a quality paint that I think would be a good choice, I decided on a company called Epifanes NA Inc. that specializes in paint for yachts after viewing the following youtube video. The video compares three types of paints (https://youtu.be/wGCgZfuPb1A?t=2s) and Epifanes paint seemed to be the best in my opinion. As stated on the back of the paint can, Mono-urethane paint is a hard, abrasive resistant air curing high gloss yacht paint based on urethane/alkyd resins. For use above the waterline on wood, steel, aluminum and fiberglass.
This is a company out of Holland, but is imported and distributed here. I acquired my paint from an on-line retailer Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island. Epifanes offers several varieties of paint systems, but I wanted a one part paint system. Didn't much care about wanting to mix two parts and trying to get all of that done accurately. The Paint is called a Mono-urethane hard high gloss yacht paint. I purchased Bright Red (3116) and Red Mahogany (3233) to compare. I didn't want to rely on the online paint charts. At first I thought the Bright Red was too bright and the Red Mahogany was too dark for the chassis area. So I mixed up a 50-50 solution to see what combining the two would look like.


I was leaning towards the combination for a long time, but ultimately decided to go with the Bright Red. Why not make it bright and flashy!

So the process I have chosen for all the bare metal components is to first prime with a self etching automotive gray primer (available everywhere), top coated with Epifanes Multi Marine Primer,
followed by the final Mono-urethane yacht paint. I also purchased the same type of paint but in Black (3119) for the main body of the Lykamobile. The following are pictures of my progress so far.
On the springs I used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer instead of the Self Etching Automotive Gray Primer as shown below. It is a heavier primer/filler.
Multi-marine primer on top of the Rustoleum primer.
And you will notice that I am spraying the paint. I also purchased Epifanes' recommended spray thinner and am using a DeVILBISS HVLP (high volume low pressure) spray gun as shown below. 
I have maybe sprayed painted once before with my father's Sears and Roebuck Craftsmans spray gun about 45 years ago, this gun makes me look like I know what I'm doing !! Not a single run if you get it set up correctly. And a few more pictures of the final paint color (possibly final coat depending on if I didn't miss any). I have many more parts to go and with staging etc., its going to take some time.



On a side note, make sure you wear a protective filtering mask for VOC's and particulates. I did, but I didn't wear a cap and now I'm sporting a slight pink highlight on my gray hair. haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts