The 1899 Locomobile Steam Car Replica, known as the Lykamobile is a full scale live steam automobile manufactured in 24 kits. This kit is available from a company called "Steam Traction World" located in Daventry, United Kingdom. Each kit is to be manufactured and sent once a month for 24 months. However for cost considerations I have chosen to have my kits batched and dispatched in larger crates to the United States (Topsail Beach, NC).

Specifications:
• Length 7ft 2.6in • Height 5ft 3in • Width 4ft 7.1in • Weight 904 lbs.• Water Tank Capacity 12 Gallons • Fuel Tank Capacity 7.3 Gallons

Construction:

• CHASSIS Tubular steel fabrication, combination weld, bolted and silver solder.
• STEERING “Ackerman” design tiller steering.
• DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVE Spur gear differential similar to the original Locomobile, drive shaft and bearings.
• WHEELS & TYRES Single tube pneumatic, treaded.
• BREAKING SYSTEM Disc brake system.
• ENGINE 21/4" diameter, 3" stroke modified “Hackworth” valve gear.
• WATER FEED Twin mechanical pump.
• BURNER Fuelled by diesel.
• BOILER Multi Fire Tube, fully constructed and complete with necessary paperwork and inspected by notified body.
• BODYWORK & SEATS Wooden with steel frame, seating capacity of 2 persons, with turned decorative spindles with leather style upholstery.
• Gears: forward and reverse.
• Assemble with hand-tools only
• Step-by-step instructions
• Technical service and help-line backup
• Designed on ‘Solidworks’ CAD
• Manufactured on modern CNC machines for build accuracy and high quality


Thursday, January 25, 2018

Paint


 
Well as much as I would like to use the Craftmaster Paints, I can't get it shipped directly to the USA and there are no suppliers that carry the brand in the USA. So doing a little searching to find a quality paint that I think would be a good choice, I decided on a company called Epifanes NA Inc. that specializes in paint for yachts after viewing the following youtube video. The video compares three types of paints (https://youtu.be/wGCgZfuPb1A?t=2s) and Epifanes paint seemed to be the best in my opinion. As stated on the back of the paint can, Mono-urethane paint is a hard, abrasive resistant air curing high gloss yacht paint based on urethane/alkyd resins. For use above the waterline on wood, steel, aluminum and fiberglass.
This is a company out of Holland, but is imported and distributed here. I acquired my paint from an on-line retailer Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island. Epifanes offers several varieties of paint systems, but I wanted a one part paint system. Didn't much care about wanting to mix two parts and trying to get all of that done accurately. The Paint is called a Mono-urethane hard high gloss yacht paint. I purchased Bright Red (3116) and Red Mahogany (3233) to compare. I didn't want to rely on the online paint charts. At first I thought the Bright Red was too bright and the Red Mahogany was too dark for the chassis area. So I mixed up a 50-50 solution to see what combining the two would look like.


I was leaning towards the combination for a long time, but ultimately decided to go with the Bright Red. Why not make it bright and flashy!

So the process I have chosen for all the bare metal components is to first prime with a self etching automotive gray primer (available everywhere), top coated with Epifanes Multi Marine Primer,
followed by the final Mono-urethane yacht paint. I also purchased the same type of paint but in Black (3119) for the main body of the Lykamobile. The following are pictures of my progress so far.
On the springs I used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer instead of the Self Etching Automotive Gray Primer as shown below. It is a heavier primer/filler.
Multi-marine primer on top of the Rustoleum primer.
And you will notice that I am spraying the paint. I also purchased Epifanes' recommended spray thinner and am using a DeVILBISS HVLP (high volume low pressure) spray gun as shown below. 
I have maybe sprayed painted once before with my father's Sears and Roebuck Craftsmans spray gun about 45 years ago, this gun makes me look like I know what I'm doing !! Not a single run if you get it set up correctly. And a few more pictures of the final paint color (possibly final coat depending on if I didn't miss any). I have many more parts to go and with staging etc., its going to take some time.



On a side note, make sure you wear a protective filtering mask for VOC's and particulates. I did, but I didn't wear a cap and now I'm sporting a slight pink highlight on my gray hair. haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts