The 1899 Locomobile Steam Car Replica, known as the Lykamobile is a full scale live steam automobile manufactured in 24 kits. This kit is available from a company called "Steam Traction World" located in Daventry, United Kingdom. Each kit is to be manufactured and sent once a month for 24 months. However for cost considerations I have chosen to have my kits batched and dispatched in larger crates to the United States (Topsail Beach, NC).

Specifications:
• Length 7ft 2.6in • Height 5ft 3in • Width 4ft 7.1in • Weight 904 lbs.• Water Tank Capacity 12 Gallons • Fuel Tank Capacity 7.3 Gallons

Construction:

CHASSIS Tubular steel fabrication, combination weld, bolted and silver solder.
STEERING “Ackerman” design tiller steering.
DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVE Spur gear differential similar to the original Locomobile, drive shaft and bearings.
WHEELS & TYRES Single tube pneumatic, treaded.
BREAKING SYSTEM Disc brake system.
ENGINE 21/4" diameter, 3" stroke modified “Hackworth” valve gear.
WATER FEED Twin mechanical pump.
BURNER Fuelled by diesel.
BOILER Multi Fire Tube, fully constructed and complete with necessary paperwork and inspected by notified body.
BODYWORK & SEATS Wooden with steel frame, seating capacity of 2 persons, with turned decorative spindles with leather style upholstery.
Gears: forward and reverse.
Assemble with hand-tools only
Step-by-step instructions
Technical service and help-line backup
Designed on ‘Solidworks’ CAD
Manufactured on modern CNC machines for build accuracy and high quality


Monday, May 7, 2018

Lyka Kit #9 - Body Frame Part 2

I decided this time instead of building the complete frame off the running chassis on the floor to instead build just the lower portion first on the floor. This made it a little less of a challenge to place the frame on the running chassis and I was able to do it by myself - the wife much appreciated that! Once I had the frame on the running chassis I made sure that I had the frame equidistant from the steering column to each side rail.



Lower section assembly.
And then upper section assembly.


The next few images show closer up details of the various sections. Reading from a previous builder of the Lykamobile (Jim) on the Steam Traction World blog, Jim expressed a need to weld the upper sections of the frame. Through his experience of running the Lykamobile, he comments that the upper frame seems to want to disassemble itself over time - loosen up. While I have not gone to welding any of the frame (yet) I did add washers and lock washers to try as a first attempt to mitigate this issue. It may prove in the long run that I will have to weld some of the members together. Steam Traction World didn't supply any washers or lock washers and in their instructions nor did they suggest any thread lock. Because I'm replacing my hardware with Stainless Steel, I ordered all the lock washers and washers too. I believe at a minimum thread lock should be used, but I'm a believer in the lock or spring washer.



I even added lock washers, washers and nuts to the protruding screws on the lower frame. This would be like a jam nut for the protruding screws.

And finally Kit # 9 is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts