The 1899 Locomobile Steam Car Replica, known as the Lykamobile is a full scale live steam automobile manufactured in 24 kits. This kit is available from a company called "Steam Traction World" located in Daventry, United Kingdom. Each kit is to be manufactured and sent once a month for 24 months. However for cost considerations I have chosen to have my kits batched and dispatched in larger crates to the United States (Topsail Beach, NC).

Specifications:
• Length 7ft 2.6in • Height 5ft 3in • Width 4ft 7.1in • Weight 904 lbs.• Water Tank Capacity 12 Gallons • Fuel Tank Capacity 7.3 Gallons

Construction:

• CHASSIS Tubular steel fabrication, combination weld, bolted and silver solder.
• STEERING “Ackerman” design tiller steering.
• DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVE Spur gear differential similar to the original Locomobile, drive shaft and bearings.
• WHEELS & TYRES Single tube pneumatic, treaded.
• BREAKING SYSTEM Disc brake system.
• ENGINE 21/4" diameter, 3" stroke modified “Hackworth” valve gear.
• WATER FEED Twin mechanical pump.
• BURNER Fuelled by diesel.
• BOILER Multi Fire Tube, fully constructed and complete with necessary paperwork and inspected by notified body.
• BODYWORK & SEATS Wooden with steel frame, seating capacity of 2 persons, with turned decorative spindles with leather style upholstery.
• Gears: forward and reverse.
• Assemble with hand-tools only
• Step-by-step instructions
• Technical service and help-line backup
• Designed on ‘Solidworks’ CAD
• Manufactured on modern CNC machines for build accuracy and high quality


Sunday, December 30, 2018

Front Lamp Mount Part 2

In my Part 1 posting for the front headlamp I mentioned that I would braze together the mounting fork that I had cut up to modify.
I did try to braze it, but the mass was just too great for my Oxy-Acetylene rig, so I ended up MIG welding the pieces together. I'm not that good at MIG welding and am learning as I go. I also decided that I needed to fashion a "C" bracket to aid in the mounting of the lamp. I used 1.5 inch x 1/8 inch steel cold rolled flat stock and heated the ends with my torch to aid in the bending of the flat stock into a "C" shape.
This piece will be mounted to the front cross member and lower shackle spring clamp piece.
I first drilled M5 clearance holes in the top side of the bracket.
And then I  placed the bracket and positioned it where I wanted it on the front cross member and transferred the centers of my M5 clearance holes and tapped two M5 holes to mount the bracket.
I also drilled and tapped one hole to fix the lower portion of the "C" bracket to the shackle spring clamping plate. Below I am holding the Lamp with the mounting fork up to see how everything lines up before proceeding with the next steps.
Being satisfied that everything "should" work, I proceed with drilling an M8 clearance hole in the center of the "C" bracket and tapping an M8(1.25) hole into the Lamp Fork.
I attach the "C" bracket to the fork with an M8 hex bolt and tighten it so that I can make a final test by mounting the lamp to the front cross member. I make a few alignment adjustments and then lock in the M8 fixing the "C" clamp to the fork. I then MIG weld the "C" clamp to the fork. The pictures below is after I ground the welds down some to make them a bit more presentable and have sprayed painted gray primer on the rig.
And once the primer has dried, I mount everything one more time before I top coat with black paint that will match the frame.
(notice the BFH on the floor - I had to use it once to flatten the "C" bracket some!)
Kit 15 is supposedly finished, but I have not received word if my shipment has been dispatched yet. It is probably a good thing it has not been shipped yet due to the Government Shut Down which includes the customs department.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts