The 1899 Locomobile Steam Car Replica, known as the Lykamobile is a full scale live steam automobile manufactured in 24 kits. This kit is available from a company called "Steam Traction World" located in Daventry, United Kingdom. Each kit is to be manufactured and sent once a month for 24 months. However for cost considerations I have chosen to have my kits batched and dispatched in larger crates to the United States (Topsail Beach, NC).

Specifications:
• Length 7ft 2.6in • Height 5ft 3in • Width 4ft 7.1in • Weight 904 lbs.• Water Tank Capacity 12 Gallons • Fuel Tank Capacity 7.3 Gallons

Construction:

• CHASSIS Tubular steel fabrication, combination weld, bolted and silver solder.
• STEERING “Ackerman” design tiller steering.
• DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVE Spur gear differential similar to the original Locomobile, drive shaft and bearings.
• WHEELS & TYRES Single tube pneumatic, treaded.
• BREAKING SYSTEM Disc brake system.
• ENGINE 21/4" diameter, 3" stroke modified “Hackworth” valve gear.
• WATER FEED Twin mechanical pump.
• BURNER Fuelled by diesel.
• BOILER Multi Fire Tube, fully constructed and complete with necessary paperwork and inspected by notified body.
• BODYWORK & SEATS Wooden with steel frame, seating capacity of 2 persons, with turned decorative spindles with leather style upholstery.
• Gears: forward and reverse.
• Assemble with hand-tools only
• Step-by-step instructions
• Technical service and help-line backup
• Designed on ‘Solidworks’ CAD
• Manufactured on modern CNC machines for build accuracy and high quality


Sunday, January 6, 2019

Miscellaneous Tidbits

Just wanted to share a few things today. This past October I attended the AACA Hershey Swap/Car Show. This was the first time that I have attended. During the course of several days I discovered an early Locomobile Steam Engine - that would be appropriate for the Lykamobile. He wanted $2500 but was taking offers. I passed, but deep down I wanted to buy it. Secondly I found a first generation Lykamobile for sale. Following are some pictures.





This Lykamobile was for sale including the trailer. The price escapes me now, but it was around $40k is what I think I remember. Very nicely done and I did see it steamed up driving around the swap meet.

Next I wanted to share a list from a fellow Lykamobile builder from France (Greg) sent me this past week. I was discussing with him what kits would be next from Steam Traction World. Steam Traction World has modified the kit batches. Greg believes the following is the kit sequence:

Kit 15 Reverser & Fittings
Kit 16 Boiler Deposit #2
Kit 17 Boiler
Kit 18 Cladding
Kit 19 Ashpan & Burner
Kit 20 Fittings #1
Kit 21 Fittings #2
Kit 22 Bodywork
Kit 23 Seat
Kit 24 Upholstery
But we are all a little in the dark because Steam Traction World has not given us an updated schedule of kits.

Lastly another fellow Lykamobile builder from Miami, FL (Robert) passed on to me a great website for steam pressure gauges. This company can make you a custom pressure gauge with any logo you want. They can also restore antique gauges too. I have listed the website in my blog's "Interesting Lykamobile Links & Stuff" column. But here is the link too: Steam Catalogs

Next week I hope to finalize shipment of Kit 15. I know some builders have already received theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts